Symptoms of a boxers fracture:
- The patient will experience instant, severe pain in the hand at the time of injury with swelling developing soon after the injury, possibly followed by bruising or discoloration.
- The outside edge of the hand where the fracture is will be particularly tender to touch
- Moving the hand will be painful
- The knuckle on the outside may appear dropped
If you sense that you have fractured your hand you should seek medical attention immediately. An x-ray may be used to confirm the diagnosis.
- If the fracture is displaced (the bones are out of alignment), the physician may need to reduce the fracture (put the bone back in place)
- Conservative treatment usually consists of a simple splint or short arm cast for 3-6 weeks - may require longer immobilization dependent on healing
- Surgery is more rare but sometimes suggested depending on the severity of the fracture
OrthoNeuro is currently offering orthopedic appointments within 24 hours. Please call 614-890-6555 or click the button below.